- The terms code and conventions are adaptable and adjust to various crowds, purposes and new audiences. Codes are signs which have the potential for various meanings and conventions are courses of action that become constant and acknowledged.
- At a progressively basic level, information on codes and conventions welcomes forecast, sets up desires and permits methods for exploring complex writings.
- Codes and conventions are utilized together in the study of genre – it isn’t sufficient to examine a technical code utilized, for example, camera work, without saying how it is customarily utilized in a genre.
A collection of people watching or observing something such as a television program, live speaker, or theater performance, or it can refer to people who share a preference for the same type of performance.
What is the importance of audience?
Knowing the crowd for a specific paper is significant in light of the fact that it decides the content that will show up in the composition. The content of an article that has a particular subject will differ contingent upon the target group(audience).
M – Media Language
I – Institutions
G – Genre
R – Representation
A – Audience
I – Ideologies and Values
N – Narrative
E – Economical, political, social, historical
- Media Languages
- In media terms, it depicts the sign frameworks, structures and codes utilized by a specific medium, for example, photographic language, film/moving picture language or print medium language.
- These codes might be comprehended by certain crowds and not by others.
- Institutions are collections of individuals working together in hierarchal structure to achieve clearly defined goals.
- Genres can determine the narrative conventions of a text
- Genres generate expectations in audiences
- Where the media build adaptations of individuals and places.
- Audiences are the groups of individuals targeted by producers as the intended consumers of media texts.
- Ideology comprises of a lot of mentalities, convictions and qualities held in like manner by a gathering of individuals and socially created inside a network to continue a specific lifestyle.
- The idea of Narrative permits us to investigate how that plot/storyline has been assembled, and how characters are necessary to how the account is executed.
- Narrative is the media term for story telling; how elements are organized in a story in order to make it meaningful.
- Applies contemporary narrative theory to radio, TV, and journalism, among others.
Why is it important?
- It explores the different ways in which a story can be told.
- Linked to the audience of the text
- Powerful; writers influence, teach, and inspire their audience
- Point of view
Representation is simply how media portray certain types of people or communities, such as gender or racism.
The movie «Get Out» is a great example of how representation is used with race. The movie portrays a lot of the liberal kind of racism. It applies common horror tropes to reveal truths about how pernicious racism is in the real world. In the movie, the white society is completely conscious of the evil that is being done. The movie represents how, nowadays, a big part of the white society still makes someone from another race feel. Furthermore, it enables the viewers to empathize with the fears of black men.
This video explains the «deep horror of racism» in the movie get out.
10 of my favorite movies!
My favorite type of genre
This genre is a type of fiction in which a professional, such as a detective, solves a crime or series of crimes. The purpose of a mystery novel is to solve a puzzle and to create a feeling of resolution with the audience.
The characters, the setting, the plot, the problem, and the solution. These five components are very important elements in order to keep the story running smoothly and allow the clues to the solution of the mystery to be revealed in a logical way that the reader can have a clear understanding.
Why do I like it?
Mystery Genre is my favorite type of genre because analyzing and solving hard puzzles is a passion I have had since I was little. Furthermore, finding clues and simply trying to understand the mystery is so intriguing to me that I will never get bored of the movie. In addition, I also really like this type of genre because it is real; not fiction. Many of the movies that I have watched relating to mystery are scenarios which could and have happened in real life which makes me even more interested on it. Moreover, I personally enjoy movies with a mystery genre because it makes me think, unlike some other movies which might just tell you a cute story to go to sleep. Lastly, and most importantly, watching so many movies with this genre made my decision for my life way clearer. It made me realize I wanted to do something relating to analyzing, discovering, and solving crimes and also understand them so I can later fix it or make it better.
My favorite movies with Mystery Genre
Favorite movie producer
- Mark Morgan is an American film producer.
- Born in October 22, 1961.
- With the help of his team, he produced Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lighting Thief and The Twilight Saga.
- He started as a story editor with such films as «A Time to Kill» and «Heat»
- He was later promoted for the CEO position of Maverick Films.
- In 2008, he co-founded Imprint Entertainment.
- Morgan Logan won the Vision Award for «A Producer of Vision» in 2009.
My favorite movies produced by him.
Preliminary Task #2
Our second preliminary task was to make another short film. My partners and I took this task as a second chance to self-correct our mistakes from the past film and apply the skills we learned over time which we we had not applied before.
- Rate on a scale of 1-10 how did your group work as a team. Support your rating. What could have made it a 10? Overall, we worked very well as a team; we were all very open in sharing ideas, thoughts and criticism. I would rate us an 8. However, we could have worked better as a team and make our rate a 10 if we had been more patient when it came to actually filming the movie. With the excitement of filming the movie and all the ideas each of us had, it was a little difficult to get to work. Despite our difficulties, we were able to talk it through and get to work.
- Explain how you organized and prepared for the project. What went well and what could have been improved? First of all, I started by brain storming ideas. Once we all decided what we wanted do, I started with the story board, where I drew what we were going to film, with our shots and angles included. The story board was essential for the success of our film. It allowed for me to think in advance about how we wanted our film to develop and consider the technical and audio codes we would use to convey it. Furthermore we found the perfect place for our movie: a dark forest. It was the perfect setting for out movie. However, the sound in that place was not so good, which we would have improved.
- What difficulties did you encounter when FILMING? How did you overcome them?One difficulty I encountered when filming was the sound. The place we chose to film the movie was perfect for the setting but not so good for the sound. It was a little park and therefore many people would pass buy and make noise. I overcome this by editing; lowering the noise of the people walking by and improved the noise of our voices so it could be more clear for the audience.
- What difficulties did you face when EDITING? Some difficulties I faced when editing were the light and sound. It was hard to lower the unwanted noise and it was also hard finding a non-diagetic sound that would make the movie more interesting. Furthermore, another difficulty I faced when editing was the lighting; trying to make it brighter without making it look too fake was challenging.
- Discuss how you prepared for the AUDIO of your film? The first thing it came to my mind when thinking about where to film our movie was the sound; it had to be somewhere open yet not so noisy, and especially not windy so the sound could be heard. That was exactly what I did for the diegetic sound. And for the non diegetic sound my partners and I applied background music so it would add more tension and suspension to the film.
- If you were to REPEAT THE PROJECT AGAIN, what would you do differently? If I were to repeat this project again I would like to add more intriguing scenes so the movie could have a little more of suspense. Furthermore, I would have done it somewhere quieter, since one of our biggest difficulties was the noise.
- ANALYZING THE FINAL PRODUCTION, what aspects are you happy with? What could have been improved? I am personally happy with how out movie turned out. I really liked how we were able to put our ideas together and make something intriguing out of it. My favorite scene is the one where the man escaping makes noise and the man running behind his hears him. I am very happy with hoe that scene turned out and how we were able to make it suspenseful yet funny. This being said, the sound and lighting could have been improved. It was sometimes hard to see because of the darkness and difficult to understand the dialogue because of the noise.
Here is a scene we could have added to improve the movie and make it more intriguing.
And finally, here is our second movie!!!